Chef Chicco’s Roasted Chicken in Adobo Sauce
When we asked Chef Chicco for a cozy and comforting recipe to warm up a cold winter’s night, his answer was immediate: Roasted Chicken in Adobo Sauce. His take on a traditional Filipino dish using Canadian ingredients with a Scandinavian twist is exactly what we’ve come to expect from Thermëa’s chef. Whilst we usually enjoy his dishes from the comfort of our robes, this one is best enjoyed from the comfort of home.
To skip the steps below and enjoy Chef Chicco’s delicious recipes at the spa, click here.
- 4 chicken legs or breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 5 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- 2 cups of water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium zucchini
- Freshly cooked rice of your choice
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Start off by washing your chicken and drying them with paper towels.
- Season with salt and pepper while you heat up a heavy bottom pan on high heat.
- Add a little bit of oil and sear your chicken until it is golden brown.
- Remove your chicken from the pan and set aside. Use the chicken’s rendered fat to sauté the garlic on medium heat until it is very aromatic (about 2 minutes).
- Put the bay leaves and the chicken back into the pan along with all the drippings.
- Add the vinegar and let simmer for 5 minutes until the vinegar has reduced to half.
- Add the soy sauce and water and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- While waiting for the chicken to simmer, cook your preferred rice as per the instructions on the packaging.
- Remove the chicken from the sauce and place it on a baking sheet. Roast in the oven for about 10 minutes or until the skin is crispy.
- Slice the whole zucchini lengthwise and score the meat side of the zucchini. Season with the adobo sauce from the chicken. Pop it in the oven with the chicken and roast until the inside is tender. (If you have a grill pan handy, use that to cook the zucchini, it gives it a nicer flavour and leaves behind great grill marks.)
- Plating the dish: Put the rice first at the bottom of the plate. Lay the baked/grilled zucchini on the rice and then the chicken on top of the zucchini. Pour some more sauce over and serve immediately.
- Enjoy in good company!