All-time Favorite Recipe: Tomato Basil Soup
During this warm season, it is pleasant to cook with simplicity and lightness. Good news: it seems that our Chef Thomas Stuart’s tomato and basil soup is beyond exquisite and makes people beg for more at the Winnipeg’s Thermëa. Therefore, by popular demand, here is the recipe of this oh!-so popular, aromatic and comforting soup.
Because the best dishes are often the easiest to make!
- 2 red onions, medium sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped and roasted
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 2 cups tomatoes, crushed
- 2 teaspoons truffle oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Salt and pepper
- Crème fraîche (optional)
- Blend the red onions and the roasted garlic with a food processor.
- In the pot, heat up enough olive oil to stir-fry the red onions and garlic confit until aromatic.
- Deglaze with white wine.
- Add the stock (vegetable or chicken), tomato juice, crushed tomatoes and sugar, in the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Use a blender to blend the truffle oil and the basil into a paste.
- Add the basil and truffle oil paste into the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a dollop of crème fraîche or sour cream and freshly chopped tomatoes. Serve hot!
Want to know the recipe behind one of your favorite dish? Please let us know, our Chef will be pleased to share his secret ingredients with you!
Until then, we’ll see you soon!