A sweet treat to lift your spirits
In this time of physical distancing and self-isolation, many people have to turned to baking as a new hobby. Not only is it something to do, the act of baking has become a way for many of us to find comfort in our day-to-day lives and share a sweet moment with our loved ones.
As the world slowly begins to ease restrictions, we encourage you to bring your new-found hobbies with you when life goes back to normal. It’s important to give yourself time to find joy and do something that brings you contentment on a regular basis.
If baking is your form of meditation, we hope you’ll enjoy this recipe for perfect banana bread from our chef at Nordik Spa-Nature in Chelsea, Norman Aitken.
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup of butter (room temperature)
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed Banana (3 organic)
- 2 tablespoons of apple sauce (optional – adds moisture)
- 1/2 cup crushed nuts (optional)
- Whisk the dry ingredients together (flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda) and set aside
- In a mixer or large bowl, combine the butter and sugar until light in colour (about 3-4 minutes)
- Add eggs and mix until incorporated
- Add banana, apple sauce, and crushed nuts and mix until just combined
- Gently fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture until just combined
- Transfer into a small loaf pan
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes
- Remove from the pan to a rack and let it cool before enjoying